n this course, you will complete two RAs that make up 50% of your total class grade. In RA 1, you will write a reaction paper to evaluate the research methodologies used in a particular study.In RA 2, you will use what you have learned about research questions and literature reviews to write a well-structured research question on a human services topic that interests you, in addition to writing a literature review on this topic.As you are working through this course, one aspect of both analyzing a study and considering the development of your own study is being able to apply the ethical standards of research as set for by the APA. In addition to formulating your plan for completing your two assignments, you will also apply what you learned from the article by Nagy (2011) to a research study of your choice.Click here to review the detailed descriptions of the RAs.Tasks:Part 1:Carefully review the descriptions of the RAs. Prepare a time line for each assignment for completing each part of these assignments.For each task that you include in the time line, describe what you will do to complete it. List the types of resources and information you will need to obtain in order to complete each task, as well as the strategy you will use to collect information from these resources.Submit the research question that you would like to use as the foundation for your literature review due in Module 5.Part 2:Using the Argosy University online library resources, locate a research study (professional literature) from the human services field. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov).In a 2–3 page paper, respond to the following using the APA style:Provide a brief overview of your selected study, making sure that you cover the purpose of the study, the methodology used, the participants, the way the data was collected and analyzed, and the outcomes.If you were the researcher conducting this study and found that you were not familiar with the particular research population, what steps would you take to prepare yourself to conduct the research with this population?In developing an informed consent form for participation in research, what are the eight basic elements you would include in the form as applied to your selected study? Make sure that you provide the details of each element as though you were constructing an informed consent form to provide to your participants.How does this research study contribute to the field of human services? How does it benefit society? Does this benefit outweigh the possible risks associated with the study? Discuss.Was any deception used in this study? If so, why was this deception necessary? If not, do you think that the study would have benefited from any kind of deception? Explain.What is the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and what role does it play in research? Explain with reference to your selected study.Reference:Nagy, T. F. (2011). Ethics in research and publication. In Essential ethics in psychology: A primer for understanding and mastering core issues (pp. 199–216). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- For this discussion, you will focus on talent acquisition and walk through a scenario on sourcing, recruitment, and selection in a labor market with talent shortages. You will work with a small group of your classmates to identify talent acquisition strategies and to provide your set of recommendations based upon a collaborative group discussion.
- First, review this module’s required resources. In your initial post to the small group discussion, address the following:
- How does knowledge of labor market information assist HR professionals in developing a quality staffing plan?
- From an external sourcing perspective, which HR initiatives and strategies are effective approaches to filling key positions in a labor market with talent shortages?
- From an internal sourcing perspective, which HR initiatives and strategies are effective approaches to filling key positions in a labor market with talent shortages?
- Refer to the chapter readings, the SHRM resources, and to the Harvard Business Review article to support your responses.
How can a manager best prepare for and respond to unexpected difficulties in the tasks or projects that they have planned and organized?
Submit a 2- to 4-page paper that includes the following:
- A summary of your findings regarding sexual orientation and its impact on life-span development, including findings from the resources and from the journal article(s) you selected during your research
- An explanation of how you might apply your findings to social work practice
Support your Assignment with specific references to the resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
Write a one-page paper on what it means to help your client think big. How would your coaching service benefit a client to achieve their goals? Remember if your message is not clear you will not get any clients. You are the business and your clients are the consumer. In your paper you will discuss the steps you will take to get your clients into your coaching program.
Suggest two scenarios that depict the potential effect(s) of hospital functions that need performance improvement. Theorize one possible outcome of your proposed scenario
Use the Internet or Strayer Library to assess critical components of the Health Information and Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act). Identify how the HITECH Act is a benchmark development in U. S. Healthcare. Use peer-reviewed journal articles to support your response.
Prepare a one-page description of your plans to solve the problem for one of the following research studies. Use the following headings for the problem:
- Statement of the Problem
- Research Method and Sources of Information (BE SPECIFIC)
- Nature of Data to Be Gathered and Analyzed
- Hypothesis or Hypotheses to Be Proved or Disproved (if feasible)
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- a. Investigate a problem occurring on your campus (e.g., declining enrollment in some majors, increasing tuition, delayed financial aid payments, high cost of textbooks, or closed classes) or in a job or student organization position you hold.
- b. Superior Foods, Inc., is considering adding organic versions of its frozen vegetables in an effort to establish itself as a leader in this fast-growing market. To increase its available supply of organic produce, management recognizes the need to assist local growers in adopting organic farming methods. The first step in this process is to recruit experts in organic farming to design and implement training.
- c. Rainbow Pool and Spas initiated a website to provide answers to frequently asked questions and product-update information. Customer response has been outstanding, freeing up the company’s toll-free telephone lines for calls about more technical, nonrecurring problems—a primary goal of the service. As marketing manager, you are considering the possibility of starting a corporate blog and a microblogging site on Twitter to strengthen your relationship and communication with customers.
- d. As branch manager of a bank, you are faced with the task in a sagging economy of reassuring customers of the solvency of your institution. Your current strategies for casting a positive light on negative performance indicators don’t seem to be effective.
Select the most effective graphic means of presenting the following data. Justify your decision.
- a. Data showing the growth in the number of companies offering employees paid time for volunteerism over a five-year period
- b. Data showing the number of downloads from iTunes by media type (music, books, and TV segments) for the past quarter
- c. Data showing percentage of organizational projects that are delayed, on time, or ahead of schedule
- d. Growth in credit card debt over the past four years by state
- e. Data showing the relationship of the functional areas of a company from the CEO to the vice presidents to the line supervisors
- f. Predicted unemployment rate in regions of the U.S. for the year 2015
- g. Instructions for conducting interrogations of employees suspected of committing fraud
- h. Figures comparing the percentage of warranty claims of a company’s three product lines for the past four quarters
- i. Data showing the number of people utilizing the portfolio option of a financial investment firm’s website. The data should depict the number of portfolios opened by investors in five age categories during each of the past four quarters.
- j. Graphic tracking the progress of a product development team working on a new refrigeration product for a 2013 launch date
IP2039 Essay Questions
- What are the problems with the conventional view of banks as intermediaries between savers and borrowers? Discuss focusing on a country of your choice.
- Focusing on a single country case study, analyse who really creates ‘money’ in the economy.
- Can tools of finance price uncertainty? Answer focusing on either:
- a) the behaviour of the financial markets post-Brexit vote;
- b) the reaction of the financial markets to the election of Donald Trump.
- Are bubbles always driven by irrationality? Answer with reference to one of the following:
- The dotcom bubble of 2000-01; b) the 1970s developing economies lending boom; c) house price bubble of your choice.
- What are the endogenous developments in the financial system that have led to the 2007-09 financial crisis?
- What are the limitations of Post-Keynesian analyses of the nature of the 2007-09 crisis?
- What are the limitations of behavioural economic analyses of the 2007-09 crisis?
- What does Minsky’s notion of Ponzi finance suggest about the sources of financial fragility today? Answer focusing on one of the following: a) the collapse of Parmalat in 2003; b) the collapse of Enron in 2001; c) the Russian default of 1998.
- Critically analyse Chandler’s theory of the M-Corporation with regard to a transnational corporation of your choice. Is the theory relevant today?
- How relevant is the theory of transaction cost economics today? Answer with regard to a case study of a firm of your choice.
- Identifying an area of activity or a sector that can be understood as a club good, critically discuss the relevance of club good theory.
- Identifying a relevant resource, critically analyse the relevance of the CPR theory.
- In what sense can we think of the firm as a political actor? Discuss focusing on a bank or a corporation of your choice.
What Would You Do? Should Affirmative Action Programs in Higher Education Continue to be Supported?
INSTRUCTIONS: In this activity, you assume the role of a Supreme Court justice who has received a memo regarding affirmative action programs in higher education. You will review arguments for and against these programs, decide whether or not they should continue to be supported, and then provide a written explanation of your decision.
INTRODUCTION: To: Justice Roberta Wilson
From: Robert Gilbert, law clerk
Subject: Affirmative action in higher education
Affirmative-action programs in higher education in the 21st century face strong political scrutiny. In the 1970s, the Supreme Court said such programs could be instituted as a means of overcoming institutional problems of past discrimination, but the Court has wrestled with the specifics of doing so. For example, it has said that diversity goals are permissible, but not quotas. In recent years, the Court has questioned whether the need for affirmative-action programs still exists. The court needs to decide whether affirmative-action programs are constitutional, so schools operate uniformly, and constitutionally, in making decisions about admissions.
The Supreme Court has announced that it will decide whether affirmative-action programs in colleges and universities are necessary in the 21st century as a means of redress for past discrimination against racial minorities and women.
- Diversity is an important goal in higher education, as numerous schools, including military academies, have said in briefs for earlier cases.
- The effects of segregation and discrimination continue in American politics today, and affirmative-action programs provide a necessary means of countering those problems.
- Institutions of higher education grant preference to applicants for several reasons, including family ties to the school. Taking race, ethnicity, or gender into account has the same goal of incorporating a range of interests and perspectives into an entering class.
- Colleges and universities focus on higher learning and should seek intellectual, not individual, diversity.
- Race is a suspect classification, and no state program that chiefly serves one race can be allowed.
- Institutions of higher education should make admissions decisions on merit criteria, not on other considerations.
The following links present the arguments for and against affirmative action programs in higher education. Choose at least one link for each side of the argument and make sure to read through the entire text. Once you have enough information, move onto the next part of the activity.
Should Affirmative Action programs in higher education continue to be supported? Why?