Network Routing and Switching (Term 2, 2018)
|Due date:||11:45pm AEST, Friday, Week 6||ASSESSMENT|
This assessment task requires you to demonstrate your knowledge of basic routing concepts by completing a number of exercise questions. The questions contain numerical as well as descriptive questions covering the material up to Week 6.
The questions are designed to help you to achieve the unit learning outcomes as listed in the unit profile.
You must do this assignment on your own – it is not a group assignment.
Type all your answers in the ‘Template for Your Answers’ Section of this document and upload only that template. You could do that by copying the Template section into a new Word document for uploading. Answers that are not typed into the “Template for Your Answers” section may not be marked, or may be returned to you for re-typing and re-submission – late penalties will apply.
Where instructed, you must show the steps you took to arrive at your answers. Write your answers in your own words to avoid potential plagiarism and copyright violations.
You must submit the Answer section as a Word file (.doc or .docx). Do not submit PDF’s or any other type of file without express permission from the Unit Coordinator.
Plagiarism Procedures can be found in the CQUniversity Policies section of the Unit Profile.
Assessment Requirements and Marking Criteria
There are 3 main questions with some sub-questions and the requirements are stated for each one. You must answer all questions and sub-questions. Marks are indicated in the Answer Template.
The questions will be marked on correctness, logic and clarity, and addressing all parts of the question.
The Assignment Questions begin on the next page.
USE THE PROVIDED TEMPLATE ON P.4 FOR ALL YOUR ANSWERS.
Question 1 – Address usage (3 marks)
Consider the following classless address block:
Calculate the following:
- the network address,
- the direct broadcast address, and
- the range of addresses available for hosts
Show the steps you took to arrive at your answers.
Question 2– Allocating subnets from a block (8 marks)
A company has been granted a block of addresses which includes the address 220.127.116.11/23. Answer the following questions, showing your calculations.
- Calculate the network address of this block and how many addresses including special addresses this block can provide (1 mark)
- Create the following 6 subnets for this company by calculating the subnet address for each subnet. Answer this question by filling in the table in the Answer template. Use CIDR format for the mask.
- 2 subnets with 64 addresses each (2 marks)
- 4 subnets with 32 addresses each (4 marks)
- How many addresses are unallocated? Show calculation (1 mark)
Question 3 – Network Tools (Windows) (4 marks)
Often the best way to gain an initial familiarity with network tools is to simply use them, at a basic level in exploratory mode as suggested in some of the tutorial exercises. Netstat and Tracert are included in Windows, while Wireshark is free to download and install. Explore Wireshark, Netstat and Tracert, then complete this question.
- A wireshark scan has produced a packet capture, saved to a file named pcapng and available on the Unit website. Download the file and open it in Wireshark, then answer these questions about the scan:
- View Frame 2: On which interface was this packet captured? what transport layer protocol was used? What kind of message was being transmitted at that point? (1 mark)
- View Frame 10: What transport layer protocol was used? Scan a few more frames down: what general activity was the user most likely engaged in? – give reasons (1 mark)
- A ‘NETSTAT –aon’ command has given the output shown below. Focussing on line 4 (highlighted), what type of application is sending messages on this connection, and is it over a secure connection or not a secure connection? – give reasons (1 mark)
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
1 TCP 10.0.0.58:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
2 TCP 10.0.0.58:5040 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 7480
3 TCP 10.0.0.118:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 4
4 TCP 10.0.0.118:52450 18.104.22.168:443 ESTABLISHED 14080
5 TCP 10.0.0.118:52458 22.214.171.124:443 CLOSE_WAIT 8912
6 TCP 10.0.0.118:52791 126.96.36.199:443 ESTABLISHED 22400
7 TCP 10.0.0.118:52811 188.8.131.52:443 ESTABLISHED 4696
8 TCP 10.0.0.118:52820 184.108.40.206:443 CLOSE_WAIT 4696
9 TCP 10.0.0.118:52879 220.127.116.11:443 ESTABLISHED 4696
- Do a TRACERT on your computer to facebook.com. Paste the output to your assignment answer template and discuss the output in sufficient detail to demonstrate that you understand the information being displayed (1 mark)
TEMPLATE FOR YOUR ANSWERS
Type your answers in this section in the spaces provided
First Name:_________________________ Last Name:____________________________
Student ID: __________________________
|Question 1: (3 marks)||3|
|1 mark each item, total 3
|Question 2: (8 marks)||8|
|Question 3: (4 marks)||4|
|1 mark each item, total 2 for 3a.|
|Total marks awarded||15 (max)|
|Less late penalties|
|Less plagiarism penalties|
|Total marks earned|